In elementary school students study numbers & operations, geometry, data, measurement, and early algebraic reasoning. The mathematics learning goals consist of both content standards and math practice standards.
Content standards identify the mathematical concepts and skills that students learn at each grade-level. The content standards for each grade can be found below:
The math practice standards list the types of expertise and ways of thinking like a mathematician that students develop (K-12). The math practice standards (PDF) include:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.