Dear Upham Community,
I hope that you have a wonderful extended weekend. As we observe Veteran’s Day on Monday, November 11, please join me in recognizing the amazing commitment and sacrifice of those who are presently serving in the military and to those who have so faithfully served in the past.
The remainder of this missive is centered on our parking. As winter approaches parking will become even more constricted along with the patience of us vying for a space to park.
I have outlined the parking procedures and policies we have adopted. They can also be found in Upham Elementary Handbook here: https://wellesleyps.org/upham/
Additionally, please be very careful as you make your way through the parking area. Safety is our paramount concern. Please make every effort to back into the side spots first and then fill in the middle. I know, I know, the middle is the premium spot, but please consider the safety of all the children and allow that to override your expediency to dismiss.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Dare to Dream,
Transportation to Upham is accomplished by driving, walking, or by riding a bicycle (if in Grade 3 or above). Riding a bus is an option if a child is participating in the METCO program or requires transportation because of special needs. Bus transportation for most Upham students is not available.
In accordance with Chapter 90, Section 16B of Massachusetts General Law, school buses and personal motor vehicles are restricted from idling on school grounds. “School grounds” are defined as in, on or within 100 feet of a school, athletic field or facility, and any playground used for school purposes or function, which are owned by a municipality or school district. School grounds also include any parking lot attached to such school, athletic field, facility or playground.
General Traffic Safety Guidelines
• Drivers: Please be sure to observe the 5 mph speed limit at all times.
• The upper and lower drives are one way. Please enter the school grounds via Lowell Road and exit via Wynnewood Road. (The upper drive is located between the school building and the north side of the fenced playground/dismissal parking lot. The lower drive is south of the fenced playground/dismissal parking lot. Please see Traffic and Parking Map.)
• Drivers: Please be aware of walkers and bicyclists entering the grounds at the lower drive crosswalk and the Wynnewood Road sidewalk.
• Walkers: Please use sidewalks and marked crosswalks.
• Bicyclists: Please ride on the right side of the road, with the traffic. Enter school on Lowell Road. Walk bicycles on school property, and park them in bike racks.
• Remember that these procedures have been put in place for the safety of our children. Please be patient.
• The Dukes Road parking lot is available for parking at any time.
• The west (outbound) side of Wynnewood Road, south of the first driveway is available for parallel parking at any time. Please do not block driveways. Note that parking is not allowed along the curb by the playground. (Please only park on one side of the road.)
• The fenced playground/dismissal parking lot is available for parking during dismissal only. Please see Dismissal Procedures.
• Parking is not allowed in the spaces that face the wooden stockade fence along the lower drive. In addition, parking is not allowed in the spaces along the east side of the fenced playground/dismissal parking lot. These are reserved for staff only. Please see Traffic and Parking Map.
• Drivers using “live” drop-off should drop off children each day using the upper driveway next to the building.
• Drivers are asked to proceed in a single line and pull their cars as far forward as possible. Do not pass other vehicles. This will facilitate a safe and efficient traffic flow.
• Vehicles should not stop in or block the crosswalk. A safety patrol person will be at the crosswalk to assist walkers and bikers between 8:15 am and 8:35 am.
• Drivers should remain in their vehicles. Vehicles should be put in park before allowing children to exit vehicles.
• Children should exit vehicles on the passenger side only. Please instruct your children to enter the playground on the west side (next to kindergarten rooms). Parents are to remain in their cars when dropping their children off.
• Caregivers wishing to walk their children up to the school may park in the Dukes Road lot or along the west side of Wynnewood Road. Please see Parking for more information.
After School Pick-Up Procedures
• During dismissal, drivers may park on Wynnewood Road, in the Dukes Road lot, or in the fenced playground/dismissal parking lot.
• When parking in the dismissal parking lot, please help maximize the space available for parking by filling the lot in an orderly fashion. After all these spaces are filled, a single line of vehicles, facing toward the west side of the fence, may be formed down the middle of the parking area.
• Turn off your car engine if you arrive early at dismissal time and are waiting in line. This will reduce the presence of harmful fumes. Upham has a “no idling” policy.
• Kindergarten students will be dismissed via their classroom’s recess door. Caregivers should wait on the playground outside these doors and then escort their children to their vehicles.
• When walking to vehicles parked in the fenced playground/dismissal parking lot, please use the crosswalks. Do not walk into the lot via the vehicle exit.
Please communicate this information to all adults (babysitters, nannies, grandparents etc.) who may be dropping off or picking up children.