Dear Students & Guardians:
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year! As we make our final preparations to begin the year, it is important to pass along the following reminders and procedural information regarding our scheduling process and requests to make further schedule changes as schedules will be available for view on Powerschool Thursday, August 22nd.
Please review this information carefully.
Why this process for requesting a schedule change?
As we continue to review our policies and procedures at WHS through the lens of Challenge Success, we remain focused on reducing stress-inducing practices and continuing to increase the personalization of our school environment. As a result, the school has developed a new process for requesting schedule changes that eliminates the lines and first-come-first-served practices of the past arena-scheduling days. This new process is designed to ensure that requests to make a schedule change will be processed in an equitable manner. Additionally, this approach is designed to reduce the stress surrounding the change process by having discussions in a more personal environment with a student’s individual guidance counselor.
Procedure to make a Schedule Change Request:
At this point in the scheduling process, all returning students have been given the opportunity to request the courses they would like to take for the upcoming school year. Students have also had the option to work with their guidance counselor to make individual schedule adjustments. If a student is interested in making further adjustments to their schedule, prior to requesting a change they are required to first experience the course by attending their currently assigned classes for the first three days of school.
After the first three days of school, the process to request a schedule change will be as follows:
- Tuesday, Sept 3rd – Thursday, Sept 5th counselors will be available for students to make appointments to discuss possible scheduling changes.
- Following a discussion with your guidance counselor, students must complete a Schedule Change Request Form.
- Schedule Change Request Forms must be signed by the parent/guardian to be considered complete. All students and parents/guardians are encouraged to discuss the decision together.
- The deadline to submit a Schedule Change Request Form is 2:30 pm on Thursday, Sept. 5th.
- Schedule changes will be processed until Friday, Sept. 6th. It’s important to emphasize that there is no priority given to students who see their counselors earlier in the week. Please make sure to take your time, think through your options, and make a prudent decision.
- There is no guarantee that a request for a schedule change will be met. The master schedule is built upon the original course selections of our students and space is created to meet these requests. All attempts to request a change to an individual schedule will be limited to the predetermined space available in all courses.
- A reminder that level changes, according to our policy, can occur at any time following September 7th with the stipulation that there is space available in the course.
- Guidance counselors will contact students after Sept. 6th to inform them of their status of their request.
The actual processing of the schedule change requests will not occur until Sept. 6th. At that time, counselors will come together to process all change requests in an equitable manner that will go course by course and attempt to meet all requests. If there are more requests to add a course than spaces available, a random lottery system will be used without consideration to the day or time that the student made the request. Students unable to gain entry into the course will be placed on a waitlist based on the lottery selection.
Thank you all for your cooperation and we hope you have a wonderful start to the 2019-2020 school year!!