It is the professional responsibility of each WPS educator to maintain their licensure. Individuals with Massachusetts standard certificates must engage in sustained professional development that strengthens professional knowledge and skills in order to meet the state’s recertification requirements. Standard certificates may be renewed by the successful completion of the appropriate number of professional development points (PDPs) within a five-year cycle.
Primary Area License – A minimum of 150 PDPs
- At least 15 PDPs in content (subject matter knowledge)
- At least 15 PDPs in pedagogy (professional skills and knowledge)
- At least 15 PDPs related to Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) or English as a Second Language (ESL)
- At least 15 PDPs related to training in strategies for effective schooling for students with disabilities and the instruction of students with diverse learning styles
- The remaining required 90 PDPs may be earned through either “elective” activities that address other educational issues and topics that improve student learning, or additional content, and/or pedagogy
Additional Area License – A minimum of 30 PDPs for the renewal of each additional Professional level license, of which a minimum of 15 PDPs is required in the content area of the license
Educators may earn PDPs by engaging in a variety of professional development activities. PDPs issued by outside organizations will not be automatically recorded on your PD Transcript in Vector Solutions. To add PDPs to your transcript, log in to Vector Solutions, select the graduation cap on the left side, and click on the green “New” button at the top right. Select “1. Record My PD” from the drop-down menu, and enter the required details.
- Licensure Requirements Tool from the Department of Elementary & Secondary Education