What instruments can join an ensemble?
Band instruments include:
- Woodwinds: Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Oboe, Bassoon
- Brass: Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
Orchestra instruments include:
- Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass
Chorus is a part of the 5th grade music curriculum.
In middle and high school, voice, Piano and Guitar students are encouraged to join chorus or drama/acting class. Piano and guitar students are also encouraged to audition for jazz band.
When to join Band or Orchestra
Please have a conversation with your private lesson teacher about when to join an ensemble. Our IVEP teachers who work with your students know them best; your teacher can advise you when your student is ready, and can benefit the most from joining band or orchestra.
Students are encouraged to join orchestra when they can meet these proficiencies:
- can identify and play the correct notes
- familiar with the following notes and rests: whole, half, quarter, and eighth
- understand articulation
- have a consistent practice regimen
Please be able to play the following scales:
Violin: A and D – 1 octave
Viola, Cello: D and G – 1 octave
Bass: D and G – 1 octave (it is especially important for bass students to consult Ms. Lamb before joining)
Band and Orchestra take place in the Music Room on the following days, and begin on the date listed.
Rehearsal begins at 8am. Please arrive by 7:45 to unpack and setup.
- Bates: Tuesday, September 26 w/ Mr. Adams
- Fiske: Friday, September 22 w/ Ms. Verret
- Hardy: Friday, September 22 w/ Mr. Corcoran
- Hunnewell: Wednesday, September 27 w/ Ms. Dexter
- Schofield: Tuesday, September, 26 w/ Ms. Verret
- Sprague: Wednesday, September 27 @ Hunnewell w/ Ms. Dexter
- Upham: Tuesday, September 26 @ Bates w/ Mr. Adams
- Bates: Monday, October 1
- Fiske: Tuesday, October 2
- Hardy: Wednesday, October 3
- Hunnewell: Friday, October 5
- Schofield: Thursday, October 4
- Sprague: Friday, October 5 @ Hunnewell
- Upham: Monday, October 1 @ Bates
At the end of every semester, each school dedicates an assembly block for the instrumental ensembles and chorus to perform. Concerts will be announced at the beginning of each year by ensemble directors and K-5 music teachers.
- Bates (w/ Upham): Wednesday, January 9 @ 8:45am
- Fiske: Wednesday, December 19th @ 8:45am
- Hardy: Friday, December 14th @ 8:45am
- Hunnewell (w/ Sprague): Wednesday, December 12th @ 8:45am
- Schofield: Wednesday, December 5th @ 8:45am
- Sprague (w/ Hunnewell): Wednesday, January 9th @ 11:00am
- Upham (w/ Bates): Friday, January 11th @ 8:45am
- Bates (w/ Upham): Wednesday, May 15th @ 8:45am
- Fiske: Wednesday, June 5th @ 8:45am
- Hardy: Friday, June 7th @ 8:45am
- Hunnewell (w/ Sprague): Wednesday, May 22nd @ 8:45am
- Schofield: Tuesday, June 4th @ 8:45am
- Sprague (w/ Hunnewell): Wednesday, May 22nd @ 11:00am
- Upham (w/ Bates): Friday, May 24th @ 8:45am
All-Town Band and All-Town Orchestra combine players from the seven elementary schools into large and exciting groups that rehearse several times in the spring and present a concert combined with the middle school. Middle school ensemble directors lead a portion of rehearsals. Rehearsal and Concert dates will be announced during the fall semester by the elementary ensemble directors.
Beginning Woodwind, Brass and Percussion students from all Wellesley Elementary Schools are invited to join the Wellesley Public Schools’ Beginner Band. When students have reached the above proficiencies they may graduate to their School Band. Rehearsals will be held in the Hunnewell Elementary School Music Room from 1:00-1:45 on the following dates: November 7th & 14th, December 12th, January 16th & 23rd, February 13th, March 20th, April 10th, and May 15th. Please email any questions to Ms. Katie Dexter, Beginning Band Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mr. Adams (Bates, Upham, and All-Town Band): email@example.com
- Mr. Corcoran (Hardy): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Dexter (Hunnewell, Sprague, and Beginning Band): email@example.com
- Ms. Verret (Schofield & Fiske): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Wilson (all elementary schools): email@example.com