We are excited you have decided to join us for this wonderful program offered by the Wellesley Public Schools Performing Arts Department! We have created a comprehensive IVEP Handbook which we ask you to become familiar with and can be found at the bottom of this page. This will provide you with some important details and information about our program. In the meantime, we want to highlight a few important items as we start a new semester.
- Students register for two semesters of fifteen-weekly private lessons each school year. The semester of lessons begins and ends on variable dates.
- Lessons must be paid in full prior to starting lessons for the semester. All payments should be made through the Performing Arts office, preferably online at wellesleyps.org > Fee Payment; please do not give cash or checks to your lesson teacher.
- Daily home practice is critical to achievement and progress. It is recommended that children maintain a daily schedule of at least 20 minutes of practice time, or more as recommended by their teacher.
- Students should come prepared with their instrument, music, and required accessories (e.g. reeds, valve oil, rosin) to lessons
- Students are expected to report promptly to weekly lessons. Tardiness will result in a shortened lesson and the time will not be made up.
- Students who are in school but incapacitated in some way (broken arm, etc.) or students who have forgotten their instruments on lesson day should report for their lesson as usual.
- When school is cancelled due to snow or for any reason, IVEP lessons are also If, at the end of the school day, after-school activities are cancelled due to inclement weather, music lessons will also be cancelled.
- There are no make-up lessons for students who simply do not appear at lesson time. Teachers should be given a minimum of a 24-hour notice when possible. There are no make-up lessons for sport events, social activities, or illness.
- When a lesson or chamber ensemble slot has been assigned to a student and the tuition has been paid for the semester, that time has been purchased for that entire There will be no refund of tuition or registration fees after the first lesson or coaching.
- Lessons are scheduled after-school, Monday through Friday. Schedules are arranged with the teachers in person, by phone, or by email. Scheduling will depend on the availability of each teacher at a mutually agreed upon time. Lessons are not taught during school holidays.
- Lessons are taught at a Wellesley Public Schools’ building. IVEP teachers may not arrange for lessons to take place off site; lessons may not take place in your home or any offsite location.
- Students are not allowed in any WPS building unattended after school hours, unless they are walking to or from their lesson.
- Elementary students should be accompanied to and from their lesson by an adult.
- If the rented instrument needs to be in the repair shop for an extended period, please inquire about a “loaner” instrument so that lessons are not disrupted. Typically, a repair is not a valid reason to not have your weekly private lesson.
- Students studying an instrument or voice are encouraged to participate in a performing ensemble (i.e. band, orchestra, or chorus). Guitar students are encouraged to audition for Jazz Band in Middle and High School. Piano students are encouraged to join the chorus. Voice students are encouraged to participate in drama or acting class, in addition to chorus.
- Students who fail to attend 5 or more lessons, or are without their instrument, music, and required accessories may not be allowed to enroll in IVEP in future semesters
We are looking forward to a great school year!