Dear Bates Families,
With 2019 winding down, we gathered as a school this morning for our monthly Community Meeting and highlighted some of the many ways our students follow the “3Bs” at Bates. In particular, students are responsible and safe following our new dismissal procedure each and every day. To celebrate our students’ hard work following the 3Bs, we will have a schoolwide Pajama Day on Friday, December 20. All students and staff can wear PJs or comfy clothes on Friday.
In planning for 2020, please mark your calendars for a few important events:
- December 23 – January 1: Year End Vacation
- Thursday, January 2: School Reopens
- Wednesday, January 15 at 8:45 a.m. in the Bates Gym: The Bates Winter Concert. The Winter Concert will showcase the Bates fifth grade chorus, the Bates/ Upham band and orchestra. Families are invited!
- Monday, January 20: No School – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Wednesday, January 22: The Magnificent Day of Play. (Details below)
- January 31: The first report card will go home in students’ backpacks.
- Wednesday, February 12 at 8:45 a.m. in the Bates Gym: All School Concert. All Bates students will perform for families and friends!
The Day of Play
On January 22, the Day of Play, students will work all morning to create and build from cardboard and other recyclable materials. If you are new to Bates and the Day of Play, learn about the story of Caine’s Arcade and the Global Cardboard Challenge that inspired our Day of Play here: link In order to help prepare your child for the Day of Play, please consider collecting cardboard boxes of various sizes for your child to use on the Day of Play. Please also consider volunteering in your child’s classroom on the Day of Play! Many hands are needed to make this day a success. I will send more details and a volunteer sign up link in January.
Dress for the Snow
During the winter months we go outside for recess and arrival when conditions allow. In order to play in the snow and on the structure, students need snow boots and snow pants. Students without snow boots will be allowed to play on plowed surfaces only. Thank you.
Finally, please continue to follow our arrival procedures to ensure a safe arrival for all students. During the winter months we advise families to allow extra time in the morning when planning to use the car line for drop off. Please remind all caregivers of our car line protocol. All cars must stay in the car line and may not pass other cars. Thank you for your continued cooperation.
I hope you enjoy the upcoming school vacation and time with family. Happy Holidays and a very Happy New Year!