Dear Bates Parents,
The warmer weather has finally arrived! We’re enjoying the sun and the opportunity to take our learning outdoors for a science lesson or poetry walk. I hope you are enjoying the warm spring weather as well.
I love that many Bates students choose to walk or ride bikes to school, particularly on these warmer days. However, I want to make sure they are able to do so safely. Unfortunately, the back parking lot has become an area of concern for our students during arrival and dismissal due to increased traffic flow. I ask that parents and caregivers not use the parking lot to drop off or pick up children. We have established car line procedures to ensure the safety of all students during drop off and pick up and we ask all parents and caregivers to follow these procedures. Thank you for your ongoing attention to this practice.
The Bates School will have a few changes in our teaching staff for next year, as outlined below:
- Laura Hoke, First Grade teacher, will be moving to Connecticut at the end of the school year. We will miss her tremendously but wish her all the best in her move.
- Jess Mead, Kindergarten teacher, will be returning to her former position in First Grade and will be teaching full time.
- Mara Hochberg will also be returning to a full-time position in Fourth Grade.
- Jenn DiStefano will be job sharing with Rita Cameron to teach Kindergarten.
- Molly Perkins and Nicole Melanson will be returning from maternity leaves to teach Fifth Grade and Second Grade, respectively.
The School Committee has announced that the last day of school for students will be Tuesday, June 21. This will be a half day of school for all students. We have many exciting activities and events planned for the end of school. I will send more information about some of these events in my next email. Also, please be sure to read the PTO Blast, teacher and room parent emails and our school calendar to learn about events specific to your child’s class. We look forward to enjoying the last weeks of the school year with you.
Tuesday, May 17 – Bootcamp 8:00 a.m. in the gym grades 4 & 5
Thursday, May 19 – Bootcamp 8:00 a.m. in the gym grades 4 & 5
Wednesday, May 25- Friday, May 27 Grade 5 Hale Reservation
Monday, May 30 No School – Memorial Day
Wednesday, June 1 Spring Concert 9:00 a.m.
Friday, June 3 Walk to School Day
Bates Spirit Day