Dear Bates Families,
It’s hard to believe that there is just over a week of school remaining. To conclude this unusual school year, teachers are working to create special experiences for students for our final days together. In this email I will share some important information about the end of year for families.
This week the teachers and custodial staff packed up student belongings left behind in classrooms, desks and lockers. We will have each child’s belongings available for curbside pick up by families on Wednesday, June 10. This will also be an opportunity for families to return library books, classroom books or other school materials. Families are asked to follow these procedures:
- Please arrive only by car and follow social distancing procedures.
- Arrive at the front car line loop during the window of time indicated below. As cars enter the front loop and bus lane, items will be loaded.
- Please display your family last name and grade levels of your children clearly in the front passenger side windshield. For example: Jones – 2, 4
- If you are able to open your trunk remotely, this is the preferred method. Items will be placed directly in your trunk. If that is not possible, items will be placed on the ground next to your car for you to pick up yourself once staff has moved out of the area.
- For families with students in multiple grades, we will deliver students belongings for all family members during the youngest child’s pick up time.
- If you are returning a library book or classroom book to return, please place it on the library carts positioned on the curb for this purpose. Alternatively, books can be returned to the Bates Office over the summer or in the fall.
- If you are unable to come on June 10 for any reason, please be assured we will store all student belongings for pick up in the fall. Families do not have to come.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Wednesday, June 10 Personal Items Pick Up Times
10:30 – 10:50 Kindergarten
11:00 – 11:20 Grade 1
11:30 – 11:50 Grade 2
12:00 – 12:20 Grade 3
12:30 – 12:50 Grade 4
1:00 – 1:20 Grade 5
Teacher Assignments for 2020-2021
At the end of the year, fifth grade teacher Abby Eustis will say goodbye to the Bates School. Although Mrs. Eustis has loved teaching at Bates since 2011, she plans to stay home to spend time with her family. We will miss Mrs. Eustis very much, and we wish her all the best.
Looking ahead to next year, at this time we have two sections of students enrolled in Kindergarten. As a result, there will be several teachers moving to new grade levels. Our teaching assignments for 2020-2021 are as follows:
- Fifth grade: Irene Gruenfeld, Erica Ilyin, Molly Perkins
- Fourth grade: Mara Hochberg, Laura Kelley, Ellen Theriault
- Third grade: Katy Comstock, Deb Cohen, Heather Macchi
- Second grade: Jessica Mead, Nicole Melanson, Pam Rosenbloom
- First grade: Rita Cameron, Franny Jacobson, Kristen Nagle
- Kindergarten: Amy Kapinos, Katie Catalano
Teacher moves create opportunities for some students to have a teacher more than once. If you have a serious concern about this particular opportunity, please email me by Monday, June 8 at email@example.com. As a reminder, we cannot consider requests for a particular teacher.
Upcoming Principal “Coffee”
I look forward to connecting with parents for a final meeting of the year on Wednesday, June 10 at 7:00 p.m. A Zoom link will be shared on the morning of June 10 for those who would like to join.
Final Community Meeting on the Last Day of School
Our school year will conclude with a final Community Meeting on June 16 starting at 11:30 a.m. I hope you can join us. At the end of the meeting, around 11:50 a.m, we will all participate in a final “clap out” for our fifth graders.
While we all look forward to summer break, we will share a number of summer learning opportunities for students. Specific information about these opportunities will follow.
Finally, linked here is information about a Sesame Street/ CNN Town Hall airing tomorrow morning: Coming Together: Standing Up to Racism.
I hope you have a great weekend.