As we get closer to the traditional beginning of our winter sports season, we know that many of you are filled with excited anticipation and also many questions. At this time, we do not have answers to many of those questions. Similar to the fall season, we await decisions and guidance on potential winter sports from the EEA, DESE, and MIAA.
We anticipate receiving additional guidance and information closer to the middle of November. Winter sports could begin as early as November 30th. Updates will be provided here on our website and on Twitter (@wellesleysports).
Once guidance is published for the winter season, we will work collaboratively with our league, Wellesley Administration, and School Committee on a plan for Wellesley Athletics. The Bay State Conference Athletic Directors have been meeting on a regular basis and will have a plan ready to go once we get all of the appropriate approvals to play.
At this time, any additional questions about the winter season should be directed to the Athletic Department rather than to individual coaches. As a reminder, “captain’s practices” are not sanctioned by the Athletic Department and should not be happening.
We ask that any students potentially interested in participating in Winter Sports submit an updated physical exam (valid for 13 months) to the High School Nurses (firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax: 781-237-6004). Telehealth physical exams cannot be accepted.
We appreciate your patience as we continue to adapt and plan our winter season.
Dear Wellesley High School Community,
We are writing with some good news from the Wellesley Board of Health. After lengthy discussions regarding a spectator policy, it has been determined that we will be allowed to have a limited number of spectators at most of our home athletic events this fall. The memo below indicates we are allowed to have one spectator per athlete for school sporting events. Spectators must wear facial coverings and maintain six feet of social distance at all times. Spectator limits for away athletic contests can be found in the graphic below. We will post updates here on our website and on Twitter as they become available. We certainly understand that this is different and difficult for some families. We do apologize for that and certainly wish we could all support our Raiders together in person. However, with the situation we are in with the pandemic, we need to follow safety protocols and do what is in the best interest of all. We hope everyone understands and we are looking forward to a great fall season.
**Now updated with schedule and locations for Tuesday 9/22 below**
We are happy to provide the opportunity for high school students to participate in Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Soccer, and Swim & Dive this fall. Registration is open for the fall season. We are unable to offer middle school sports for the Fall 2020 season. We will reevaluate as the winter and spring seasons approach.
Fall Sports Offered:
- Boys Cross Country: Coach Corkery
- Girls Cross Country: Coach Short
- Girls Field Hockey: Coach Stickle
- Boys Golf: Coach Bateman
- Boys Soccer: Coach DiCecca
- Girls Soccer: Coach Bothe
- Girls Swimming and Diving: Coach Dutton
First Day of Tryouts/Practice: Monday, September 21st.
Schedule for Tuesday, September 22nd:
- Boys Cross Country – 3pm Stadium, home side bleachers
- Girls Cross Country – 3pm JV Baseball field behind Stadium bleachers, third base side
- Boys Golf – 3pm Nehoiden Golf Course
- Field Hockey – Grades 10-12 at 3pm Sprague Field Turf 3; Grade 9 at 3pm Hunnewell Grass Field at WHS
- Boys Soccer – 3pm Stadium, visitor side bleachers
- Girls Soccer – 3:45pm Sprague Field Turf 2
- Girls Swim and Dive – 3:15pm Wellesley Sports Center
Contact coaches with sport-specific questions. There will be no access to school buildings. All students should bring their own equipment for their sport and a gallon of water. Please put names on your belongings. All students should wear a mask, not a gaiter and bring an extra mask. Students will be asked to complete a Covid-19 attestation form upon arrival daily so please bring your phone to complete a simple Google form.
- All sports will be modified for the safety of the participants per MIAA, DESE and EEA guidance.
- Sport specific modifications can be found at the following links:
- Students must bring their own water daily.
Traditional Fall Sports Moved to Fall II Season:
- Football, Girls Volleyball, and Cheerleading have been moved to the Fall II season currently planned for between February 22nd and April 25th 2021.
- Students are allowed to participate in four seasons this academic year (Fall, Winter, Fall II, Spring).
- Sign up on RecTrac by September 20th.
- Information about registration can be found at this link on our website:
- Be sure to submit an updated physical. Telehealth physical exams will not be accepted.
- Schedules will be available online at https://wellesleyathletics.org/ and are updated regularly. This is the only place for our official schedules for all levels.
- In coordination with the Bay State Conference, our contest schedules are built intentionally to limit community spread and ease any potential need for contact tracing.
- There will be no MIAA Fall State Tournament
- The schedule will look different this fall at all levels with games on different days, travel accommodations, and fewer contests. We are glad to be providing an opportunity for our student athletes to play and compete together.
- There will be no locker room access available to student-athletes until hybrid schooling begins.
- During the remote period, students should report to workouts in proper gear and immediately return home to shower, clean clothes and equipment at the end of every workout.
- During the hybrid period, only students who are physically in school that day will have access to the locker rooms prior to practices or contests.
- There will be no use of lockers and the room will only be allowed for changing into athletic gear.
- Students must take all of their belongings with them after they change as there will be no access to the rooms during or after practices or contests.
- All social distancing and mask policies must be used while in the changing room area. There should be no congregating in that area. All student athletes must enter, change, and leave.
- The user fee for Fall 2020 remains at $300.
- If there is a financial hardship please see the following link: https://wellesleyps.org/students-families/financial-assistance-information/
- Rosters for away contests may be limited due to transportation safety modifications. Most buses can accommodate 24 passengers.
Virtual Cohort Participation:
- All students whether they are remote or hybrid are eligible to participate in Wellesley High School athletics this fall.
For the most up to date information follow @WellesleySports on Twitter
Parents, athletes and fans can create a fan account on BigTeams to follow their favorite Wellesley Raiders athletic teams. Alerts are available via email and/or text message. The BigTeams App is also available for free for Apple and Android devices.
To begin go to wellesleyathletics.org and click the Join button in the top right corner.Continue reading Team Schedules: How to Create a Fan Account on BigTeams