Hello Hardy Families:
Across the state of Massachusetts schools are celebrating STEM week through various activities and presentations from Oct. 21 to 25. At Hardy we will be engaging in three STEAM activities. This Friday we will experience Extreme Science which is an assembly for the entire school. To further support STEAM Week, Hardy will engage in a Day of Play on Wednesday, October 23rd. Your child’s classroom teacher will be sending out specific information if certain materials are needed. Students will be engaged in addressing science questions or problems through the design of their Day of Play creations. Finally, on Friday, October 25th WEF will be presenting Picturing Science, a museum-quality exhibit from the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH). Picturing Science is an all-school assembly that puts the “A” in STEAM!
What is the Picturing Science Exhibit?
· Picturing Science: Museum Scientists and Imaging Technologies is a graphic panel exhibit of 27 large-format prints (4’x5’), adapted from the original exhibition Picturing Science organized by the American Museum of Natural History, New York (amnh.org).
· The high tech images show intricate details of both natural phenomena and cultural artifacts, through photos taken by 24 scientists from the American Museum of Natural History as part of their ongoing research. For example, the images include evolving supernovas, long buried ancient villages, microscopic hairs on wasp antennae and much more.
· The detailed images are made possible by the use of advanced imaging technologies. Through exploring the images, your students would learn about scientific imaging technologies, such as: Confocal laser scanning microscopy; SEM (scanning electron microscopy); Electron microscopy; CT scanning (computed tomography); X-Ray imaging; and, UV Fluorescence.
· A summary of the Exhibit and some of its images can be found here: https://www.amnh.org/
· You can see the Picturing Science Exhibit for yourself at the Wellesley STEM Expo on Saturday, April 6th from 10am-2pm. It will be in the Little Theatre at WHS.
· You are invited to a private preview event of thePicturing Science Exhibit on Friday, April 5th from 12-2pm in the Little Theatre at WHS. Formal invitation to follow.