Morning Announcements for Thursday, June 8
TODAY IS DAY 6
Are you curious about what some people in our WMS community will be celebrating this coming weekend? June is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender
Pride Month, established to recognize the impact that lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals have had on the world. It began as a recognized day in
1970 in New York City, commemorating the one- year anniversary of LGBT people resisting the raid and arrest of LGBT friends and family that occurred at the
Stonewall Inn. This practice of arrest was not uncommon because being gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender was not legally allowed in any way. Today, LGBT
groups celebrate this special time with memorials for those lost to hate crimes and to HIV/AIDS, as well as with picnics, parties, and other group gatherings,
culminating in a Pride Day parade in Boston and other cities around the country and world. We wish all people at WMS observing this joyous occasion a “Happy Pride.”
* STARS is inviting Grade 8 students to attend the final pizza lunch on stereotypes and race today, June 8 in Cafe “234.”
* Just a reminder, if you had art work in the Wellesley Library Art show, please pick up your art work from your art teacher this week.
* Tomorrow is the last day to return books to the library no matter when they were checked out.
* Attention 7th and 8th graders: Please make sure that you have returned your signed consent form for the upcoming field trips to Spectacle Island
and the Boston cash hunt. We must have these back prior to you attending these events. If you need an extra copy of the permission form, please stop by the
* Just a reminder that the WMS PTO and the Green Team are partnering together to collect old electronic devices and accessories. If you have any old cell phones,
chargers, phone cases or iPods that have been stuck in a drawer at home, please put them in the box in the Main Office.
* The Book Fair is here! 6th and 7th grade classes will be going to the library today with their teachers. 8th graders who wish to purchase
their summer reading books can go to the library individually. Just a reminder that the library will be closed before and after school on Thursday and Friday for the
Book Fair & the library will be closed today until Period 5.
* TOMORROW night is the WMS year-end dances from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. 8th graders, don’t forget your tickets! Your dance will be in the cafeteria. 6th & 7th grade
dance will be in Gym A. Admission is $5 at the door. No guests are allowed.
* Grade 8 – last day with iPads is June 9. All iPads will be handed in first thing Monday morning (June 12) in homerooms. iPads will be returned back to students on
June 15 & 16. No iPads on June 19 & 20.
* 8th grade Chorus concert is tonight at 7:00 p.m. in the WMS Auditorium.
* BRCC Community Center Tutoring is open today from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. – Come work on your
* Today is the last day for Intramurals! Intramurals today: Open Gym = Gym B and the Fitness Center is open.