On February 9, 2021, School Committee (SC) held a joint discussion with the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) regarding the School Department’s priorities for the Hunnewell Track and Field (T&F) projects, and then on February 23 voted to take the following actions:
- To move forward with a plan for bathrooms at the Hunnewell T&F using the funding approved at Annual Town Meeting in 2018; and
- To further explore team rooms & lighting as a package and engage with the Natural Resources Commission on developing a process for moving forward.
- The SC members involved in this effort are endeavoring to follow the process as outlined in this letter which we shared with the NRC at their meeting on March 18.
- Met on 3/30 with School Dept. to revisit and confirm requirements for all 3 projects
- Next Steps – discuss maintenance with FMD and DPW; bring proposal to SC and NRC by end of May/early June and ideally start fundraising by early summer
- DPW engaged Weston & Sampson (W&S) to assist with bathroom/team room sizing & placement
- Received balance of $175K for bathrooms from Field Fund (SB accepted on 5/10)
- Next step – W&S to work with Building & Health Depts. to reduce # of fixtures
- Schools reviewed and signed off on layout from Vanguard
- W&S reviewing Vanguard layout and will provide comment
- Next step – get preliminary cost estimate
Track and Field Lighting
- Met on 4/7 with Lighting Subcommittee – incl. Kyle Williams, Assistant Athletic Dir.
- Met on 5/3 with School Dept. to review draft lighting usage policy; SC had opportunity on 5/11 to review and weigh in on this draft (and existing sound policy)
- Held neighbors meeting (5/27) and community forum (6/2)
- Next Steps – Review presentation and report from NRC’s lighting consultant; put together proposal for SC and NRC’s consideration
- Abutters/neighbors meeting held on May 27: Hunnewell T&F neighbors were invited to: hear what is being considered by school dept., share feedback, ask questions, and discuss the idea of identifying neighborhood reps to serve as points of contact for WHS re: the T&F projects.
- Community forum held on June 2: Community members learned about what is being considered for all 3 projects and in particular from a lighting perspective based on school department’s requirements, shared feedback and asked questions.
- Background Information for Hunnewell Fields Discussion on 2.9.21
- Hunnewell Fields Complex Priorities 2.9.21
- Background Info for Hunnewell Fields Discussion on 2.23.21
- Hunnewell Field Complex Priorities – Part II 2.23.21
- Letter for NRC Regarding Hunnewell Track & Field Projects 3.15.21