As a culmination of the elementary experience and as a transition to middle school, our fifth grade students will participate in a three-day environmental education and team building program this spring at Hale Reservation in Westwood, MA. Below are important details about this exciting program.
- Click to Register Online – Registration will open Wednesday, February 27, 2019
- Financial Assistance Information
2019 Dates & Times
Hardy, Hunnewell, Fiske & Upham will attend: May 29, 30 & 31.
Bates, Schofield & Sprague will attend: June 5, 6 & 7.
The program will take place within the regular school day hours (8:30 am – 3:05 pm) except on the Wednesday (May 29 or June 5). Wednesday will be a full day for fifth graders participating in the the Hale Reservation Program.
Hale Reservation is a series of three “day trips.” It does not include overnight stays. Round trip transportation is provided between your child/children’s school and Hale Reservation. Transportation on Wednesday May 29 and Wednesday June 5 is as follows:
- Parents will need to pick up their child/children from school at 3:05pm
- Transportation to Boston will be provided for METCO students by the METCO program.
- Transportation home will be provided for Special Education students.
- WCCC students will be bussed to their respective schools.
Registration and Payment
The fifth grade environmental education program is a self-sustaining, tuition-based program paid for by the families of our fifth grade students. The cost of the program is $255.00 per student. This covers the fee for the Hale Reservation Program and their staff, transportation, and an on-site nurse from Wellesley Public Schools.
Registration and payments are completed online and are due no later than Tuesday, April 9, 2019. From your school’s homepage scroll to School Quick Links and click on Hale Reservation Program (Gr. 5). Financial Assistance information and required forms are also available on that page.
We make great efforts to ensure that every student is able to participate in this learning opportunity by providing financial assistance to families demonstrating need. You can help with these efforts by making a contribution to the Fifth Grade Environmental Education Scholarship Fund when you complete your child’s registration for the program.
There are two forms that need to be completed and signed in order for your child/children to attend:
- Wellesley Public Schools Field Trip Consent Form: This is included in the online registration packet.
- Hale Reservation Waiver Form: This will be sent home to you via your child’s backpack and will need to be returned to their homeroom teacher no later than Tuesday, 4/9/19. Hale Reservation Waiver Form (PDF)
A Wellesley Public Schools nurse will be on site at all times.
Students Should Wear Sneakers
Students will need to bring the following items each day:
- Snack for the day
- Sack lunch (the first 2 days only- Hale provides a BBQ on the third day)
- Sun Block
- Bug repellent
- Refillable water bottle
- Rain poncho/raincoat
Hale BBQ Menu (for third day lunch)
- hamburgers, hot dogs, or veggie burgers
- pasta salad and potato salad
Students who would like a burger without a bun, or any similar requests, can have that made at the grill. The veggie burgers are cooked in foil so they never touch a grill that may have contacted meat and often satisfy kosher or halal requirements. Students are welcome to bring their own food on the last day if alternate food would be more comfortable or healthy for them.
Optional Parent Events
- Hale Parent Overview is an opportunity to learn more about the activities that will take place at Hale Reservation. This will take place on Wednesday, April 24, 2019 from 6:30pm-7:30pm in the WMS Auditorium. No RSVP is necessary.
- Hale Facilities Tour for parents will be held on Saturday, May 4, 2019 from 9:30am-10:30am at Hale Reservation. Please RSVP to Gwen Cheek at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, April 29, 2019. We will provide directions to the Hale Cat Rock Parking area, where the tour will begin.
Further details about Hale Reservation can be found on their website at HaleReservation.org. We are looking forward to a great learning experience for your children this spring. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Gwen Cheek at email@example.com at any time.
Joan Dabrowski, Ed.D.
Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning
- BBQ Ingredients Grade 5 Hale Reservation Program
- Cat Rock Parking Lot — Pass the Main Office on the left and continue to the first paved parking area on the left. PDF Map with Directions to Cat Rock Parking at Hale Reservation