Update 4/29/20: Due to our extended district closure, the Grade 5 Hale Reservation trip originally scheduled for the weeks of May 27 and June 3 has been cancelled. If you have registered your child, please expect a refund within the next 30 days.
If you have any questions please email Gwen Cheek email@example.com.
As a culmination of the elementary experience and as a transition to middle school, our fifth grade students will participate in a three-day environmental education and team building program this spring at Hale Reservation in Westwood, MA. Below are important details about this exciting program.
- Click to Register Online – Registration will open Friday, February 7, 2020
- Financial Assistance Information
2020 Dates & Times
Hardy, Hunnewell, Fiske & Upham will attend: May 27, 28 & 29.
Bates, Schofield & Sprague will attend: June 3, 4 & 5.
The program will take place within the regular school day hours (8:30 am – 3:05 pm) except on the Wednesday (May 27 or June 3). Wednesday will be a full day for fifth graders participating in the the Hale Reservation Program.
Hale Reservation is a series of three “day trips.” It does not include overnight stays. Round trip transportation is provided between your child/children’s school and Hale Reservation. Transportation on Wednesday May 27 and Wednesday June 3 is as follows:
- Parents will need to pick up their child/children from school at 3:05pm
- Transportation to Boston will be provided for METCO students by the METCO program.
- Transportation home will be provided for Special Education students.
- WCCC students will be bussed to their respective schools.
Registration and Payment
The fifth grade environmental education program is a self-sustaining, tuition-based program paid for by the families of our fifth grade students. The cost of the program is $237.00 per student. This covers the fee for the Hale Reservation Program and their staff, transportation, and an on-site nurse from Wellesley Public Schools.
Registration and payments are completed online and are due no later than Friday, March 27th, 2020. From your school’s homepage scroll to School Quick Links and click on Hale Reservation Program (Gr. 5). Financial Assistance information and required forms are also available on that page. If you need financial assistance, please email or call Gwen Cheek (firstname.lastname@example.org) (781-446-6210 x5602). All financial assistance forms are due by March 2nd, 2020.
We make great efforts to ensure that every student is able to participate in this learning opportunity by providing financial assistance to families demonstrating need. You can help with these efforts by making a contribution to this year’s trip. Please contact Gwen Cheek (email@example.com) if you would like to help with this.
There are two forms that need to be completed and signed in order for your child/children to attend:
- Wellesley Public Schools Field Trip Consent Form: This is included in the online registration packet.
- Hale Reservation Waiver Form: This will be sent home to you via your child’s backpack and will need to be returned to their homeroom teacher no later than Tuesday, 3/27/20.
A Wellesley Public Schools nurse will be on site at all times.
Students Should Wear Sneakers
Students will need to bring the following items each day:
- Snack for the day
- Sack lunch (the first 2 days only- Hale provides a BBQ on the third day)
- Sun Block
- Bug repellent
- Refillable water bottle
- Rain poncho/raincoat
Hale BBQ Menu (for third day lunch)
- hamburgers, hot dogs, or veggie burgers
- pasta salad and potato salad
Students who would like a burger without a bun, or any similar requests, can have that made at the grill. The veggie burgers are cooked in foil so they never touch a grill that may have contacted meat and often satisfy kosher or halal requirements. Students are welcome to bring their own food on the last day if alternate food would be more comfortable or healthy for them.
Optional Parent Events
- Hale Facilities Tour for parents will be held on Saturday, May 2, 2020 from 9:30am-10:30am at Hale Reservation. Please RSVP to Gwen Cheek at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, April 29, 2019. We will provide directions to the Hale Cat Rock Parking area, where the tour will begin.
Further details about Hale Reservation can be found on their website at HaleReservation.org. We are looking forward to a great learning experience for your children this spring. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Gwen Cheek at email@example.com at any time.
Joan Dabrowski, Ed.D.
Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning
- BBQ Ingredients Grade 5 Hale Reservation Program
- Cat Rock Parking Lot — Pass the Main Office on the left and continue to the first paved parking area on the left. PDF Map with Directions to Cat Rock Parking at Hale Reservation